Friday, January 21, 2011

Luke Cage and Stoyas Drug store..



In the early seventies I use to buy my comics at the local corner drug store
(Stoyas drugs) Corner of Broadway and Bryn Mawr.
Stoyas was dead center to four Chicago schools
Swift, Pierce, St Gregory's ,Senn and was on the route to the Bryn Mawr 'L'
I bring this up because if you didn't get to the store the day the comics arrived
the place was cleaned out of any main stream titles by Marvel or DC.

Well in a predominantly Italian, Irish, Puerto Rican neighborhood
Black super heroes were not the main book coveted.
Spider man, FF etc you get the picture.

Well by the time I got my allowance ($2) Luke Cage (hero for hire) was the only super hero book left on the sparce picked over spin racks
Believe me I wasnt going for Archie or Richie Rich.
(Also Not a big DC fan as a kid)

I wanted super heros and didn't care that Luke Cage was a blackplotation hero
of the Marvel 1970's.
He was a bad ass and I loved him.
So what is my point, well to this day Luke Cage is my favorite Super Hero.

thank you for letting me share
'Go Bears"

Sam